NOTE: If skirt is unobtainable, substitute with hanger or cut of meat flap (also sold-out as cut of beef in New England—it’s totally different from cut of meat steak). beefsteakmay also be used. For best flavor, grind your own chile powder from a combination of equal components ancho and guajillo chiles.
SERVES fourto six
½ cup soy
½ cup juice (from sixto eight limes)
½ cup oil
¼ cup packed refined sugar
2 teaspoons ground edible seed
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chile powder (see the headnote)
3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about one tablespoon)
2 pounds cut skirt cut (about one whole steak), cut crosswise into 5- to 6-inch items (see here for trimming instructions)
1 giant red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and turn over ½-inch-wide strips
1 giant yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and turn over ½-inch-wide strips
1 giantinexperienced bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and turn over ½-inch-wide strips
1 white or yellow onion, turn over ½-inch slices
12 to sixteencontemporary flour or corn tortillas, hot
1 direction Pico American state Gallo, for serving, if desired (recipe follows)
Guacamole, sour cream, chopped cheese, and salsa, for serving, if desired
1. mix the soy, lime juice, canola oil, refined sugar, cumin, black pepper, chile powder, and garlic during a medium bowl and whisk to mix. Transfer ½ cup of the marinade to an outsized bowl and put aside. Place the steaks during a gallon-sized zipper-lock bag and add the remaining marinade. Seal the bag, squeeze out the maximum amountair as doable. Massage the bag till the meat is totally coated in marinade. Lay flat within theicebox, turning eachnumber of hours for a minimum ofthree hours and up to ten.
2. whereas the cut marinates, toss the peppers and onion in bowl with the reserved ½ cup marinade. Refrigerate tillable to use.
3. onceable to cook, take away the steaks from the marinade, wipe off any excess, and transfer the steaks to an outsized plate. lightweight one chimneyful of charcoal. once all the charcoal is lit and lined with grey ash, pour out and prepare the coals on one aspect of the charcoal grate. Set a cookery grate in situ, cowl the grill, and permit it to heatfor five minutes. Clean and oil the broil grate.
4. Place an outsizedironfrying pan over the cooler aspect of the grill. Transfer the steaks to the recentaspect of the grill. cowl and cook for one minute. Flip the steaks, cover, and cook for one more minute. Continue cookeryduring this manner—flipping associated covering—until the steaks area unit well-charred and an instant-read measuring system inserted into the middle registers 115° to 120°F for medium-rare or 125° to 130°F for medium. Transfer the steaks to an outsized plate, tent with foil, and permit to rest for tento fifteen minutes.
5. Meanwhile, transfer the ironfrying pan to the recentaspect of the grill and permit it to heatfor two minutes. Add the pepper and onion combine and cook, stirring often, till the vegetables area unit softened and setting out to char in spots, concerningten minutes. once the vegetables area unitstewed, transfer the steaks to a board and pour any accumulated juices from the plate into the frying pan with the vegetables. Toss to coat.
6. Transfer the vegetables to a heat serving platter. Thinly slice the meat against the grain and transfer to the platter with the vegetables. Serve straightaway with hot tortillas, pico American state gallo, guacamole, and alternative condiments as desired.